Research Council and evaluation bodies
The National Research Council of the SNSF evaluates several thousand applications each year and makes funding decisions. It is composed of about 100 distinguished researchers, most of whom work at Swiss higher education institutions. The Research Council is supported by 90 evaluation bodies comprising over 700 members.
National Research Council of the SNSF
The Research Council comprises the following four divisions:
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mathematics, Natural and Engineering Sciences
- Biology and Medicine
Three Specialised Committees are responsible for cross-divisional matters:
- International Co-operation
- Interdisciplinary Research.
In addition to the permanent commissions "Gender Equality in Research Funding" and "Research Integrity", the Research Council can appoint specialised commissions and panels for specific evaluation tasks.
The Presiding Board consists of the President of the Research Council and the Presidents of the divisions and specialised committees. It supervises and coordinates the work of the Research Council and drafts science policy recommendations for submission to the Foundation Council. It focuses mainly on funding policy, the elaboration of funding schemes, evaluation methods and the distribution of funds across the individual scientific disciplines.
The evaluation bodies evaluate proposals and lay the groundwork for the funding decisions made by the Research Council. The members of these bodies are for the most part researchers working at higher education institutions. A third are women, and a third work at institutes based abroad.
- Research Council: Current vacancies
- Organisational Regulations of the National Research Council (PDF, 147 kB) Document in English, for information purposes only
- Implementation regulations for the organisational regulations of the National Research Council (PDF, 134 kB)
- Organisational regulations of the Specialised Committee Careers (PDF, 92.5 kB)
- Organisational regulations of the Specialised Committee Interdisciplinary Research (PDF, 94.5 kB)
- Organisational Regulations of the Specialised Committee International Co-operation (PDF, 101 kB)
- Charter for membership in the National Research Council (PDF, 257 kB)
- Election Regulations for the National Research Council (PDF, 123 kB) Document in English, for information purposes only
- Regulations on grants for research semesters for members of the Research Council who leave office (PDF, 98.1 kB) Document in English, for information purposes only